Monday, October 03, 2005

target language



I have lived here now for almost nine months.

First I was overwhelmed - a new culture, new people, new everything.
Some people call it a "culture shock". But that's not how I felt about this.
It was more like discovering so many new things at the same time.

I had to do my grocery shopping, but I had never been in that type of store.
The first weeks I couldn't find the things I needed. But I was not used to asking for it, not very clever maybe, but that had become my new way of living "finding out".
I had never considered giving up my new life here until my kids turned into very stressed about being strangers at school.
Those were the days when we had become very homesick for a while.
Somehow, it had changed into summer and living and going to school in a new country with a foreign language had been growing more familiar.
Summervacation had started and new, more comfortable feelings filled our days.
But that summer,
I decided to work very hard on a new happy future for my family.
Now, autumn has arrived and I feel much more comfortable.